Saturday, December 13, 2014

Final Blog Post: The Controlled Consumer


After taking this class on consumer culture, I have learned a lot about who we are as a society and how we are influenced everyday by the media and marketers. In regard to the state of our culture, I believe that we have let consumerism take advantage of who we are as human beings. Before marketing and advertising were so prominent, society had values that were more surrounded around family life and who we were as people. Now that advertisers have all access to our lives, it is hard for us to escape the world that relies so heavily on consumerism. We have lost touch of who we are when it comes to family and morals because marketers have taught us that who we are is never good enough.

Personally, I am someone who does not let consumerism get the best of me and define who I am. With the knowledge I have gained, it is not hard to disregard marketing and advertising techniques. I have gained insight as to who I am and what I value. This has taught me that I can live a happy, fulfilling life without buying the newest shoes or the most recent iPhone. I am aware when I am the target audience of an advertisement which allows me to analyze what the company is selling and how they are selling it. It feels good to know that when I want something, it is because it comes from a choice that I made and was not influenced by a magazine or commercial.

Although I have accepted that this is American culture, I am not happy about it. I wish that the companies would realize that although they bring business and money, they are taking away what is important in life. One prime example of this is one's identity. Because of such heavy influence, it is hard for one to make decisions that have had little influence or outside pressures. If the companies can be brave enough to admit the harm they bring or change what they do, then I think consumerism could see a change for the better. This change could bring less advertising, but enough that helps support business. This will allow society to form their own opinions in ways that will benefit their character and self worth.

Image

No comments:

Post a Comment