Sunday, December 14, 2014

Final Post


I wasn't sure what to expect when I first enrolled into this English course. I assumed the focus of the class would be about writing on the topic of consumer culture, however, it was much more. This course taught me a lot about myself and the consumerism that lies within our culture. 

My position on consumerism is this; it what it is. Don't get me wrong, I truly hate consumerism and the disgusting marketing that goes with it. I also fear that our society has become obsessed with consumerism, but remains unaware of the fact. Metaphorically speaking, we are merely victims of abuse. We get tricked, wronged, and fooled by marketing every day, yet we are either too afraid to be different or too abused to acknowledge the wrong that is consumption. However, consumerism and marketing are, and will always be, what it is. I believe the thing that must change is us. See marketing and consumerism is all targeted to us and our needs/wants. When our views change so does the marketing and the consumer products. They adjust to our new wants/needs. The best way to overcome this is to beat them at their own game. If we change our needs/wants, so will our consumer culture. I haven't got a clue what we should do to make this change, but I'm working on it. 

Personally, I think I'm just like everyone else when it comes to being a consumer. I like to think I'm in charge and in control of what I buy, but I've learned that I'm really not in control at all. It wasn't until the final presentations in class that I realized how much effect marketing had on me. I don't really watch commercials because I think their stupid and a waste of time, but when I do pay attention to them nine times out of ten they work on me. I'm not proud of the consumer I am today, and hopefully I can change that. I also hope that our consumer culture makes a change for the better too. 

Happy holidays everyone and good luck with finals! And thank you Sara Eddy for a wonderful first semester of English!

No comments:

Post a Comment