Monday, December 15, 2014

Then and Now

          I can still remember the reason why I initially registered for this course, Consumer Culture. Thinking that it would somehow relate to my major of Economics, I decided to take the course. As I finished an entire semester of learning about the topic, I feel as if I was completely wrong. It was not anywhere close to what I had been expecting, but a clear reflection of how I interacted with the marketing and consumerism.

          In the beginning of the course, I was confident that I was not influenced by any advertisements and marketing techniques carried out by various companies and brands. I felt as if I was buying what I actually needed as I looked at myself bringing only the necessary stuff from back home. However, as I was taking the course, I felt that I was wrong. I was influenced by the various advertising techniques and I had fallen into their trap without myself knowing. Although I did not want to admit it, I was one of the audience that the markets were trying to attract by using their techniques.
         
          Throughout the course, I did various assignments of analyzing a specific product, examining magazines, doing research on a specific topic, and analyzing an actual advertisement or commercial. All of those assignments have helped me to learn more deeply about consumer culture. Although I was not used to reading magazines or watching advertisements on television, I was able to become more familiar with the common techniques used by the editors and advertisers.


          After the course ended, I feel that I have become stronger as a consumer being able to see what the advertisers are trying to do in order to attract the audience. I have improved in knowing what goods are necessary or wanted, leading on to how I can actually save money when encountering consumerism.

         
           

No comments:

Post a Comment