Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Final blog post

            As I grow up, I gradually realize my interest in practical issues. I have a habit of applying everything I learn, hear, read or see in reality. Therefore, I find it hard to deal with abstract problems. When I was choosing writing courses for this semester, only “Consumer Culture” attracted me. As I am not a big fan of writing, if I have to write something, I would rather my paper be logical than emotional (or too much emotion-related). In the end, it turned out that I was much satisfied with my decision than I thought. The topic really captured me. It made me unconsciously think about it and be aware of my surroundings every day.
            From the name of the course, people may jump to a conclusion that this course would support Economics courses. Yes, it adds depth but does not go along with Economics courses. Taking both Consumer Culture and Macroeconomics sometimes drives me crazy as they drag me to two totally different directions. While Macroeconomics guides me through many policies and benefits in increasing production and consumption, Consumer Culture points out how advertising manipulates us to blindly consume more and more stuffs. Of course, since no one wants to be manipulated, especially in a way degrading oneself, I despise advertising! Yet, at the same time, from the viewpoint of Economics students, advertisers are doing a favor to develop the growth of the economy (by encouraging consumption to increase GDP).

            However, the more I think about this relationship, the more clearly I can see the whole economy picture. Economics claims that producers produce with regard to consumers’ needs. They don’t say anything about intervene in these needs. It’s advertisers who use economic development as an excuse to seduce consumers. Seduction is only one of the effects advertising has on consumers. Their messages to raise consumption can negatively affect people’s perception like the case of gender or race inequality. I cannot be happy when advertisers only care about short-term results instead of long-term consequences. Now, I find myself successfully escape from the chaos advertisers create to confuse me. I do not completely deny this consumption culture as we cannot refrain ourselves from making deals/ purchasing. It is an indispensable daily life activity to live. Yet, it is better to not rash your decision. You should stop and think why you need to buy the stuffs and whether you really need them. Usually I will overcome my first impression desire after a day or two reasoning to myself. I feel good about it as I become more controlled.

No comments:

Post a Comment