Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Final Thoughts

When I was a kid I never thought twice about having so many toys and dolls. I knew all the brands of the toys I had and even judged them differently - think Crayola vs Rose Art. I was immersed so young and I like many others didn't even realize how the consumer culture we have lived in for so long is the really the only true american culture that's developed after more then 200 years. Like most I went so long not even putting a real thought to what that meant to how I lived my life and to how that affects not just our actions as a society but how it affects the world in many different ways.

I am, sadly at heart a consumer. It's a lot harder to break cultural ties when it's all you've known your entire life. Prior to this class I had some understanding of what this consumer culture was and some ways in which it was more pervasive then I was raised to believe. But I still indulged in frivolous shopping and even loved certain commercials more then I would like to admit.  Now however it's amazing to know so much more about consumerism and advertising and their effects. However I am left in a very perplexed state after all this.

On the one hand seeing kids today be even more immersed into this culture then I was is disheartening. I feel as if most people don't even know about the downsides of consumerism and simply accept this culture as the only way we can live in today's society. Often times I question this myself as it's hard to see the light when you start to realize exactly how much we consume and then throw away. But even more then that it's hard to see a possible change from this temporary lifestyle when it's seeped into our belief systems at a certain level.

However while I am overall not happy with this consumeristic society we live in I think it's still worth a shot a trying to change it. They say the most dangerous phrase is "We've always done things this way" and I believe that, but that doesn't mean we can't change. It just means we have to work harder at it. I think that one day materialistic items won't be valued as much but rather people themselves and what they think not what they wear. I think that by even trying to change my consuming habits, as hard as it may be, is important. Eventually if I stop buying things that I won't use in a few years, or if I start spending my money on experiences rather then things it's make a difference. Even if that difference is small it could start another down the same path if I talk about it and spread the idea that consuming is not the end all be all.

So even though I am often discouraged by how our consumer culture leaves world in a less then harmonious state I think there is hope. There is always some action to be taken. So thank you for giving me this hope at least, and thank you for an amazing class.

No comments:

Post a Comment