Tuesday, September 30, 2014

What is Normal, Gap?


Gap produces sophisticated pieces that are always in season. I associate the brand with elegance and simplicity. They rarely use celebrities to endorse their clothes because they don't need to. Basic pieces from Gap such as t-shirts and jeans may be an investment, but they can last for years.

I was confused by their most recent commercial when it played on Hulu. Everything is set in black and white. The commercial starts with a girl stepping out of a BMW. She is wearing a short, boxy t-shirt and skinny jeans. As the music starts, the girl dances past a boy playing golf. Then, the following slogan pops up:

"let your actions speak louder than your clothes"

At first, I did not pay too much attention because I thought the commercial was a trailer for a horror movie (black and white theme, older music, crickets...not the most common setting for a commercial). When I watched it again, I was confused as to what the company was trying to promote. Perhaps the girl is trying to flirt with the guy. But he is not responsive. Also, the campaign is "Dress Normal". Is the company trying to redefine normal as skinny and attractive actors? I'm a firm believer that there is no definition of "normal" as everyone has his/her/their own perks.

Then, I Googled the commercial and read that the point of this campaign was to emphasize that everyone's definition of normal is different. The company wants to promote individual styles. I never would have picked that out from the commercial.




1 comment:

  1. That's such a great point, It's definitely contradictory in the sense that it's not apparent that they're promoting everybody's version of normal is different, when they only typify one version. Another thing that I thought was interesting is how they used the girl dancing around, I'm not sure if it was to distract the guy or what exactly they were trying to say but I feel there are definitely undertones of sexism at work her. I'm not all that surprised at that part however as it's a common thing in any advertising these days it seems.

    ReplyDelete