Thursday, September 25, 2014

Buy a purse, prevent a bruise

The caption on the top left corner says: What 1 in 4 women will be wearing this fall.

The bottom text describes the cause that the Purple Purse Foundation supports.

There's nothing pretty about it. 1 in 4 women will be impacted by domestic violence in her lifetime. Yet there's an even darker side. 98% of these women are trapped because of the financial control abusers have over them. It's a secret prison no one's talking about, until now.

I stumbled upon this ad while flipping through the Lucky Magazine. This is actually the second time that I've come across this Purple Purse campaign. The first time was on a Yahoo! news article that talked about how Kerry Washington is the ambassador for this foundation.

When I first saw the purse in the magazine, my thought was that the purple/green blotch on the corner was a nebula. I wondered why space images were the new trend because the purse is kind of ugly and I would never personally buy it.
Even after seeing the description, how buying this purse would "go to a good cause", I was still not drawn to the purse. This marketing campaign made no sense to me. Having wealthy socialite women wear these "purple bags" have no correlation to the situation at hand. They just throw money at an organization yet the details as to what happens to the money is not explicitly stated. Does any of this money actually benefit the women trapped in domestic abuse? I want to see the statistical and survey evidence.

Purple Purse, an Allstate Foundation

1 comment:

  1. The photo of the bag really grabbed my attention, because like you mentioned it just didn't make sense. I see now that the 'nebula' is supposed to be a bruise, but while there is a certain level of creativity to this campaign I feel like the meaning behind the campaign could have been translated better if it were constructed differently. Or maybe just have it be strictly an ad for the cause not an ad to sell a bag that happens to also support a cause? This is very similar to TOMS and how people wear TOMS because it shows the world they care and helped provide a kid with a pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete