Friday, September 19, 2014

Siri-ous Sales


The iPhone is so widespread and relevant in today’s culture that the word ‘iPhone’ has been added into dictionaries and is no longer a word spell checked in Microsoft programs or online. With this popularity there is an added pressure placed on consumers that have chosen to purchase a phone other than the iPhone as well as on iPhone owners who decided not to constantly upgrade each time a new iPhone model is released. Consumers are easily affected by the social hype and advertisements geared towards ensuring every individual stays on trend and purchases an iPhone. This hype has caused many Android phone users to make the switch over to owning an iPhone, and has caused current Android phone owners, myself included, to feel the added pressure to make the decision on if they should also buy into the iPhone trend.  Updated software and slight changes in its visual identity keep the phone current and the demand always present and always growing. Through vague media advertisements, consumer’ word of mouth, and planned obsolescence Apple has been able to turn the iPhone into a cultural icon that is here to stay for generations to come.
 
My close analysis essay will be centered around this popular phone that I'm sure many of you own, the iPhone. With the recent release of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, there have been 10 different models of the iPhone out on the market, shown in the photo below. Those not included in the photo below are: the iPhone 5s, 5c, 6, and 6Plus. As you can see there has not been much change in the physical appearance between each model and though the software and platform of each phone has changed, there are important points that I will discuss on how big those changes actually are. I will also bring in a bit of my personal opinion and stance on purchasing an iPhone as I use this essay to help guide me towards my decision of whether or not I should retire my Android phone and follow into this iPhone buying frenzy.
I'll be discussing further on why consumers want an iPhone, compare what consumers think they're buying and what they actually get from buying an iPhone, discuss where all the hype for iPhone derived and why it continues to grow, and conclude with how the iPhone is affecting consumers and our society, both presently and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment