Sunday, November 9, 2014

Amazon Fire Phone takes away childhood

As usual, before enjoying any video on Youtube, I have to spend the first 15 seconds watching advertisements. Amazon Fire Phone’s new advertisement below did better than any advertisements I was forced to watch last week as I forgot to click “Skip Ad”. However, I was attracted not because it was a great advertisement (barely!) but because I was shocked watching it.


Besides the fact that Amazon exploits children’s cuteness to advertise, the situation it creates to tell a story disgusts me. Two nine-year-old children spend time alone in a café, browsing their new phones instead of playing outside and enjoying fresh air. My mind was attacked by millions of questions: When did children start to grow up so early and to act like adults going to work? When did they begin to prefer sitting still instead of running? Or when did smart phones start to influence their life so much that they can lecture/ advertise to two adults about benefits? To me, these children are not nine years old. They are not even cute or naïve as they should be or as their images should be promoted…


Children are forced to get out of childhood earlier and earlier. Advertisers mercilessly attack them from every aspect of life. Through its advertisement, Amazon Fire Phone brings adult’s heated communication to children’s world. How long will it take for children nowadays to be able to communicate through screens only?

1 comment:

  1. I love that you picked up this commercial. I was equally disgusted by it and really couldn´t believe that they used this game from my childhood but misused it so badly. Children nowadays barely play outside or play in an interactive way anymore. Or at least they always have some kind of technology in between them. It is very sad!

    ReplyDelete