Saturday, November 15, 2014

CoverGirl #GirlsCan

Yesterday, my friend sent me an amazing advertisement from Cover Girl: #GirlsCan: Girls Who Code. This is one in Cover Girl's series #GirlsCan, which inspires female to tear down many prejudices daily attacking them such as: Girls Can't Rock, Girls Can't Do Business, etc. and encourages girls to follow their dreams and to prove that YES, GIRLS CAN.


However, the more I watch the series, the more confused I get. Something is not real in those video advertisements. Not only celebrities but also other normal girls look so beautiful, with make-up. I don't say that wearing make-up is bad yet camera men seem to focus more on girls' lip colors, their eyes with eyeliners and mascara or their nails (already wearing nail polish) than what they are actually do to pursue their dreams. NO girls in the video have bare faces. Although we don't see any direct advertisement in the video except for the name of the brand, when I searched this series on Google, I found out a whole line of cosmetics products named GirlsCan. If you are a consumer, what information does this name provide you with? Nothing about the product itself. It only highlights and reminds consumers of the meaningful event. What an old strategy: exploiting a meaningful message to tell "great stories" and to delude them into buying.

No comments:

Post a Comment