Monday, November 3, 2014

Humanity Needs Autocorrect

In this day and age, technology has become such a prevalent element in the lives of everyone living in modern societies. Leaving your phone at home is one of the worst feelings in the world. Realizing you have 3% battery left and don’t have a charger is probably the second worst feeling in the world. What has humanity come to? People have become so dependent on technology that imagining a world without it—no imagining a day without your cell phone—is downright scary.
Not only have people become so reliant on their mobile devices, but they have also become addicted to the constant entertainment—the stimulation that the phone provides can be considered healthy for the brain, but when that stimulation is taken away, then what? Feelings of restlessness and depression arise. It becomes increasingly difficult to enjoy a moment of peace of mind. One can sit beside Paradise Pond on a crisp fall afternoon admiring the reflection of red and orange leaves in the rippling water, but will not feel satisfied until a picture of the scenery has been uploaded to Instagram. After the picture is

Everything this man expresses about the impacts of media and technology on society in this catchy video is completely accurate when discussing the vast majority of the population.  Take a look by clicking the link below!



5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you are saying, especially in regard to the pictures of Paradise Pond. Sometimes as I'm walking by it I feel tempted to take a picture but instead I choose to take it in and appreciate it at the moment. I think that it's important to appreciate things in the moment and not always have to document the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same feeling. I went to Vermont for leaf-peeping last month and it was so spectacular. However, as my friend drove through a mountain, even though the view was the best one but I didn't really enjoy myself just because I couldn't get ATT service which meant I was not able to instantly take a photo and put it on my instagram. I am addicted. I have to change my habit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what you are saying. I think that all of us are now so consumed by technology and the different forms of entertainment that they provide. Taking pictures and documenting things for memories are fine, but there are some people who document every single meal they eat. I remember when my family went on vacation, we would literally stand at one spot for 10 minutes trying to take a family picture, rather than enjoying the scenic view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a beautiful poem! (Love the music!) Prince Ea mentions the rise of AD(H)D and shorted attention span. I would like to add the increase in anxiety. Without my phone, I'm afraid to go out at night. There is always this "what if" lingering in my head of the dangerous events that could happen. Even worse is the "what if" moment that I won't be able to capture a moment on my phone. I am always tempted to take photos of the events that I go to or the food that I eat as a personal keepsake for the future me to look back on. However, there was a study suggesting that when we take picture of what is happening, we are no longer enjoying the moment. I agree with Prince Ea: I would rather keep these precious moments in my memory. My favorite times in life (in class, on the train, etc) are when I suddenly remember a something that happened and I start chuckling to myself. These memories canno be proven by photo, but they are dear to me because they are mine and not for the world to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This video literally gave me the chills! Unfortunately, humanity will probably only get worse before it gets any better. Everyday we want our lives to be made easier and faster through the creation of new apps, social networks, etc. We no longer want to do the actual work to communicate, if there is an app we always want it. Even the idea of emotions are abbreviated through emojis. Every aspect of humanity are slowly if not already abbreviated and I seriously do not know when it will end.

    ReplyDelete