Sunday, November 23, 2014

No Shopping On Thanksgiving

As an international student, Thanksgiving is a strange event to me. Everything I've ever heard about Thanksgiving is all through books, televisions or the Internet. Yet, what is even more popular than Thanksgiving is what happens after the meal: Black Friday. To me, before going to the US, Black Friday has always been a long-lasting legend where customers are showered with amazing deals/sales! I remembered re-watching and admiring Youtuber with "Huge Black Friday Haul". To be honest, just a few days ago, I could not wait to experience my first Black Friday...

Then, I saw one of my American friend share the picture below on Facebook. That provoked my thoughts.


Though I still look forward to Thanksgiving, some part of me feels sad already. As I see my classmates cannot stop talking about their plans of going back homes, enjoying delicious homemade food and being surrounded by family members, I cannot help being homesick. I cannot come home and spend time with my family. When I link my feeling with the picture, something struck me,.. I understand the best how sorrowful it is to be unable to spend time with family while everyone else surrounds around the table and enjoy best quality family time. Now, if I still go shopping on Black Friday, doesn't it mean that I heartlessly and purposely cause someone to be like me? There is no solution to my situation as I am too far away from home. However, services are provided because of customers. If there is no customers, the workers will not have to come to work. Like the picture says, "Everyone Deserves a Holiday". That's why I won't shop on Thanksgiving.

1 comment:

  1. I just found myself looking for the Facebook "like" button. Arg. But yes, I agree: I hate the Black friday thing.

    ReplyDelete