Friday, November 14, 2014

How Smart Are You?


So I came across a Amazon ad in the new issue of Glamour December 2014. It intrigued so much that I decided to google search the campaign and came across this billboard. This was my train of thought: Why is smart having a linkage to fashion? Who is the target of the ad?

Amazon is an online shopping website that literally has anything you might ever need available by a touch of a finger. Women are obviously responsible for a majority of consumption in the United States. So what is this ad actually implying? This is my take on it. A woman's intelligence relies on her ability of making "smart"decisions which obviously pertains only in the context of shopping. This ad only reinforces my ideas as a Feminist. Why should my level of intelligence be dependent of fashion, can I not make any other "smart"decision in other areas of my life? Then I think, I have brought myself to attend one of the best prestigious all women's college which only shows I am more than able to make extremely smart decisions in all areas of life. Hopefully advertising ads will soon begin to understand that.

No comments:

Post a Comment