Sunday, November 9, 2014

Marketing on Instagram


http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/14-instagram-data-findings-every-marketer-needs-know-160969

Instagram is a social media platform that allows their users to engage in posting pictures and videos. In this article about the 14 Instagram Data Findings That Every Marketer Needs to Know, I found it really interesting that now more than ever, image based networks are more effective in capturing the attention of their audiences.

The article on Adweek provides statistics and advice on what marketers need to know about using Instagram as a platform to market their products. I personally think that social media has been an extremely useful tool for all the marketers out there. Taking Instagram as an example, when a company posts a picture to their Instagram account, their followers (generally, people who really like the product) will like and comment on the pictures, which generates publicity. However, the marketers are also able to reach a much larger audience. When a person likes something, people who follow them will be able to see this on their newsfeed, and sometimes, on the popular page. Just as mentioned in 'Generation Like' users of social media are now being used by these companies to further promote their product and the worst part is most of them are not aware of this.

I personally do not follow any big companies on Instagram, but sometimes I do see some advertising on the popular page. What about everyone else, do you follow any brands?


2 comments:

  1. Actually after our last class when we talked about the generation like articles, I went straight home and started to delete all my likes on facebook and instagram which weren´t personal (such as friends bands). My instagram feed changed immediately from almost only commercials to mainly my friends posting pretty pictures. I mean I did not follow any big companies on instagram, but I follow a lot of stars and many of them post advertisement for either their shows or their products. I am glad that I unfollowed them now, because now I only get the nice vacation photos in my feed and see what my real friends from the real world are doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic! I don't use Instagram: does it carry any other advertising (like sidebars, or ads between posts)? If so, I wonder if you'll see a change in that stuff, too.

      Delete